Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Christian Flag Pledge Acknowledges Zombies?


"I pledge allegiance to the Christian Flag and to the Savior for whose Kingdom it stands. One Savior, crucified, risen, and coming again with life and liberty to all who believe."

I never got the chance to say the pledge and didn't even know about there being a Christian flag or a pledge to it until a few years ago. Interestingly enough, it caught my eye when I read it the first time. I knew the reasoning behind the words to the American Flag's pledge well enough, but this Christian one at me at a loss.

Being a Jehovah;s Witness throughout my school years gave me the honor of standing in the hall for the first few minutes of class everyday. I could still hear the pledge and even asked my parents about it but they never mentioned anything about a christian flag.

After reading about this in a recent article, I finally sat down and googled the pledge. The first thing that caught my eye was the line about "whose kingdom it stands." It seemed odd to me that Christians would need a flag to show the worth of their devotion on a daily or weekly basis. Wasn't there something about "make no graven images or idols before me" in the Bible? Maybe it was just in New World Translation and not the King James version.

Then the second line caught me and all the "Zombie Jesus: lines I had even heard jumped out at me. I mean, they really waited or are waiting for him to rise again and walk amongst them. Yeah, no zombie referencce there -nope not at all!

The "liberty to all who believe" line also made little sense when the zombie notion came into play. The only liberty I see happening is gonna be the gun-toting, hammer-swinging or sword-slashing people clearing out all the zombies.

No comments:

Post a Comment